platformOS Community

When can we ditch Slack and be in control of all our IM data and UX?

Adam Jan 04 2021 at 17:34

With with slack being down again (becoming a monthly event it seems), Will the platformOS community template with groups and instant messaging be able to replace slack?

Extra benefit being that site owners will have complete control over their instant messaging data, user experience and seamless integration to all other platformOS managed functionality they build.

Adam Cook Jan 05 2021 at 11:25

I know you want it to be, but probably not. It's the user experience that makes Slack what it is. Between the mobile and desktop apps and the notifications, I'm afraid we're going to lose contact with the community if we ditch it too early.

• Adam Jan 05 2021 at 15:09
    We'II have to wait and see - our monthly cost for Slack is insane, so we have another big motivator to dump it asap.
  • Rich - One Orange Cow Jan 06 2021 at 00:23
    As much as I prefer slack for realtime back and forth on issue, costs are costs.... You could have both sort of....Export existing channel data, massage it, import to the community, make it searchable and readable on this site.... convert slack to free plan (with the number of users it will basically turn into realtime chat). Don't know if slack claim ownership of everything but they offer a public export https://slack.com/intl/en-au/help/articles/204897248-Guide-to-Slack-import-and-export-tools It would pretty much nuke everyone's PM history because I'm assuming with 120-users the free 30,000 messages will be used up super quick..... Then only do town hall and updates to everything here.... people will figure it out :)
  • Rich - One Orange Cow Jan 06 2021 at 00:25
    Also line breaks (windows tested) don't seem to work in comments, although they are formatted correctly in user profile view.
Rich - One Orange Cow Jan 06 2021 at 00:30

Different answer, I would convert if it was a little more clear of new content (which slack does well in other ways):

• Email summary of new things (daily / weekly / etc).
  • Instant email alerts of replies to my question or tagged in another post.
  • Yuri Jan 14 2021 at 08:51
    Desktop notifications and push notifications when something relevant is happening in the community would bring more engagement and bring users back. If you don't enter the website and check each of the questions and comments, you will never come back and engage.
Please sign in or fill up your profile to answer a question